photo by J. Adam Fenster
Barnes and Noble
This is the best-selling guide to the graduate admissions process, and has been for over a decade! Learn the secrets of successful graduate school applicants
Career expert Donald Asher interviewed thousands of graduate students and admission directors across the country in order to unravel the intricate graduate school application process. Using this insider information, Asher has created a detailed plan of attack that takes all of the mystery and most of the stress out of applying to even the most competitive programs. His step-by-step instructions teach you the techniques top candidates use to gain admission to the departments of their choice. This is the essential resource for anyone thinking about graduate or professional school. The newly revised and thoroughly updated third edition has the latest tactics for online admissions, links to hot websites, and recommendations for further support. Graduate Admissions Essays offers a wealth of information found nowhere else.
The heart of an application—the essay
Admissions directors carry their favorite essays around with them for years as examples of how it should be done (but rarely is). Your essay can have this kind of impact—the clear instructions and hands-on exercises in this book make it easy—no matter how rusty your writing skills my be. Fifty examples of winning essays offer inspiration, while the Essay Hall of Shame identifies the pitfalls you will want to avoid.
How to secure winning letters of recommendation
One perfect recommendation can overcome every shortcoming you may have. Asher devotes a whole chapter to the subject, explaining how to help your references write great letters of recommendation on your behalf.
This essential tool for anyone contemplating graduate or professional school offers a wealth of information found nowhere else.
- Tips that can give you an edge over equally—or better—qualified applicants
- Advice on how to lobby your way into the most competitive programs
- What to do if you're wait-listed
- Guidance for timing your application most effectively
- Links to hot websites and recommendations for supplimentary reading
- Information on financial aid and graduate admissions testing
- Sample essays for scholarship, residency, fellowship, postgraduate and postdoctoral applications
Think you can't get into a great college?
Are you hyper-intelligent? Self-directed? A late-bloomer? Or just different? Then you need a great school that will challenge, nurture, inspire and motivate you—and Cool Colleges has got 'em. Fully revised since the first edition, Cool Colleges covers the most exciting schools in the U.S. and Canada, with a new chapter on eco-schools, an update on tuition-free schools and the total low-down on the so-called top-ranked schools.
You'll get the scoop on:
- What the Ivy League is and what it really wants
- Totally free schools, including one where financial need is a requirement for admission
- Universities that don't give grades
- Schools that don't want your SAT scores
- Data on the highest (and lowest) paying majors
- The schools that graduate the most millionaires
- Men's, women's and minority-focused colleges
- Schools where you can design your own degree program
- A college where you can hike and camp your way to a degree
- A college that runs its own ranch on an 80-square-mile campus
- Science and engineering schools wheree undergrads get their own labs
- The most competititve colleges, including one that rejects 95% of applicants
- Campuses where students love to study, even on Saturday nights
- Schools that offer programs in computer game studies, comedy, auctioneering, special-effects makeup and more
Cool Colleges is the resource for finding your dream school—and gives you the edge you'll need to get accepted.
With thousands of students competing each year for some of the nation's most prestigious academic and experiential awards, there is a need to offer fresh and innovative ways to help this growing field of students. Peterson's Best Scholarships for the Best Students is the source for those students looking to apply for nationally prestigious scholarships, internships, and experience-based programs.
- Valuable information on the most competitive scholarships, fellowships, internships, and experiential learning opportunities for today's top students.
- Strategies for winning major competitive scholarships and landing top internships and experiential opportunities-crafting a compelling personal statement and preparing an eye-catching resume
- Resources for international students
- Advice readers can relate to from current high-achieving students
- For parents of high school and college students
co-authored with Jason Morris and Nichole Fazio-Veigel
Can’t find a job? Maybe you’re seeing only half the picture!
Half the job market is invisible
Are you spending all your time applying to posted job openings—postings that draw hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of applications? No matter how perfect you are for the job, there is always someone else who’s a little more qualified, more experienced. The key to success in the current job market is breaking through to the hidden job market. Over half of all jobs go to someone who did not apply to a posted opening at all. What are they doing and how are they doing it? They’re finding new jobs before the posting hits the Internet.
Career guru Donald Asher offers proven strategies for finding great opportunities in any industry. With Cracking the Hidden Job Market you’ll stop wasting time and effort and beat the job-search odds by learning how to:
• find jobs that are never posted anywhere
• get complete strangers to help you find a job
• convince potential employers to give you an interview—even when they’re “not hiring”
• find—and land—the new jobs in this, or any, economy
Every page of Cracking the Hidden Job Market is packed with no-frills fundamentals to change the way you look for a job, this time—and forever!
Launch a Full-Scale Job Search Tomorrow!
By tomorrow, you can be well on your way to a great new job. The Overnight Resume is for any career-minded person, from entry level* to the executive suite, with:
- Job-winning resumes and cover letters
- The latest on using the Internet in your job search—Internet, HTML and scannable resume styles with keyword lists!
- Plus access to the hidden job market!
All based on how fast-track heavy hitters write their resumes.
The Overnight Resume has everything you need to overcome your limitations and earn interviews for the job you want:
- How to mask dates without lying
- How to handle too little or the wrong kind of education
- Differences between East Coast and West Coast resume styles
- Special sections on financial, legal, academic, medical, engineering and high-tech resume styles
- Tips for applying for overseas jobs
- Advice on job-search protocol
Written by America's job-search guru, The Overnight Resume is packed with tricks of the trade for anyone who absolutely must have a great resume...by tomorrow.
*Tip No.1: Never use the term entry level in any resume.
Launch Your Life
Stephen Colbert was a philosophy major; YouTube cofounder Chad Hurley was an art major. If you think your college major will determine your life path, think again. This streamlined edition refocuses the emphasis from job search to life launch for readers under 30 who are more attracted to achieving balanced life goals than career advancement. For those who want more than just a job, this book provides practical strategies for building a great and rewarding life.
This book provides the largest compendium of executive resumes ever published for the general public: general and financial management from VP to CEO, plus special sections on technical, engineering, sales, marketing, medical, governmental, military, academic, media, nonprofit, scientific, legal and transitional resumes.
From what color paper to use to how one phrases a letter to a headhunter, this book contains everything you'll ever need to know about executive presentations:
- How long is too long?
- What kind of resume goes in a business proposal?
- What three things does a headhunter check first?
- When will you need a narrative biography?
- What stylistic techniques will keep the reader focused on your skill, not your age?
- What's different about resumes on the West Coast as compared to the East Coast?
And it's packed with detailed information on:
- Standard Executive Resumes (how to beat 1,000-to-1 odds)
- Headhunter Resumes (how they present candidates)
- Curricula Vitae (for academic and medical professionals)
- Principal and Company Profiles (for officers and entrepreneurs)
- Salary Histories (position yourself to win in negotiations)
Plus sections on special problems: overqualified, too old, laid off or demoted, no education, job hopping, date gaps, too long with one employer, employer involved in scandal, dead industry, and so on.
If you are an executive in transition, this is one book
you can't do without.
Named business book of the year 2008!
Do your job, do it well, and you'll be rewarded, right?
Actually, probably not. According to career guru Donald Asher, advancement at work is less about skillsets and more about strategy. Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why details exactly what puts one employee on the fast track to an exceptional career, while another stays on the treadmill to mediocrity.
Whether you're new to the workforce or feeling stagnant and overlooked, this book is your ticket to advancement. Learn:
- why timing is more important than talent
- how corporations really make promotion decisions
- how to avoid career mistakes you don't even know you're making
- the ten proven strategies for advancement regardless of your industry and experience
If you want to know how to begin controlling your own destiny, the solution is not to work harder but to work smarter. Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why can help you do just that.